Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Money for Grades

I read Patrick's blog this week. http://phogan.wordpress.com/

I agree with him on most of what he said. I believe that this could be an effect means for some students but not all. Also, I think he made a valid point about thinking about the money as an just any other reward. But the whole idea of what is school is for is presented. Is school just to prepare students for the real world? Or are schools meant to do something else for students? I personally think a truely effective teacher has to be able to do something more for a student than giving them rewards for good grades. I think that simply introduces the idea of students just "getting by" the school day instead of learning strengths and weaknesses of themselfs, how to be citizens, and how to interact with others.

I believe that the teachers that are already effective with students are the only ones who could achieve something good by using money for grades. Therefore I do not think it is a necessary thing to do.

No comments: