Monday, September 29, 2008

Frontline: Growing Up Online

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/kidsonline/


How do you view the Internet's impact on kids? Do you worry about it - or not? Do you have a story to share?

I thought this was an interesting video. I believe that the internet has a large impact on kids lives. Students have become more dependent on the computer do do things in their everyday lives. The video mentioned how students now need to be constantly in touch with the outside world and that they need everything to be at their fingertips. As a future teacher this is something that makes me a bit worried. I feel like there is more pressure as teachers to keep your students engaged in what we are teaching. Also, there is the risk that they will just use the technology they know to not really do the work they should. I know that as a student I have allowed the different things on the internet like Facebook, or AOL Instant Messenger to distract me from doing the work I should be doing.

One thing I believe teachers should be aware of with technology is that the use of technology in the classroom cannot completely replace an effective teacher. A teacher must learn to utilize the technology but not let it become so complicated or overwhelming that it distracts from what is actually being taught.

No comments: